Thursday, July 29, 2010

I am gay and can't find the courage to come out to my family. Any advice?

Hi everyone.


I am eighteen years old, and have known I'm gay for two years. Somehow, I still can't figure out an appropriate way to tell my family, but this being a large part of my life, I need them to know. I guess I am looking for some advice on ways to go about it. My mom is really open-minded, and my dad is pretty supportive too, so I guess that part is my own issues. The rest of my family is what I am a little terrified of- as much as I love them all, I know it would be very hard for them to understand and accept- if not impossible.I am gay and can't find the courage to come out to my family. Any advice?
Lucky you, they are open-minded. That's a good start. All that matters, I've found, is if your parents approve and accept it. The rest of the family kind-of fades in the background, unless you are close to them.





Bring up gay marriage. Ask your parents how they feel about it over dinner. Then, tell them! Remember, at first, they might be shocked. But if they are open-minded like you said, they will support you.I am gay and can't find the courage to come out to my family. Any advice?
Try sending them an email, or leaving a note on the table-- something where you don't actually see their emotional response, but you can talk without getting scared or improvising. Think out what you want to say and write it down. Good luck!
Why tell anyone? Just be yourself, they'll figure it out.
when i told my parents i just walked in and said im gay and ran out of the house and didnt come back till after dinner that night. by that time they were ok about it i think my mom knew anyway. but my dad was a little freaked out and wanted to talk about it and we did and hes i little better about it now, even though at first he said i was going through a faze which i let him think i was. that was a year ago and im still gay and he knows it we dont talk about it. he even ignores my guy friends that i bring over not that hes rude or anything just doesn't get involved with what we are doing. witch is great with me.


good luck
Your private life is your business. Sit down w/ your family and tell them the truth. You must live your own life. The rest of your family will find out in due time!





My cousin found out she was gay. Her family is very accepting and even allow her gf to live w/ them.





It may be hard to accept but it is your family and they will eventually realize it is your life. Your decisions to make! No one elses!





Stand up for you and what you believe in! Its your life so live it! Hold your head high! You are you for a reason!





I don't wanna sound cliche but look at Ellen Degenerous! Everyone loves her! Old, young! Its what inside that counts!
well... the fact that your immediate family is supportive is the important thing... what i did was this... i took the ';assumptive'; approach.. ( after a LOT of thinking... ).. I simply said... '; SO... you probably already know by now that i'm gay right';?.... and my mother said ';Nooooooooo';... and i said '; oh... well then i have something to tell you...';...





...It was funny and immediately ';disarmed'; the situation...





hope it works as well for you...:P
omg u wont belive how easy it is i am 13 years old and i tld my mum even tho she sed i am a bit young she told me she would love me uncandtionaly * same about my dad n now i feel open and that i can tell them any thing :) gd luck
don't. wait until u r in a relationship and preferably in another state and then invite them to your wedding.
only do it when ur ready i was really scared to tell anyone like 4 yrs ago and over time i relized it and accepted it


and i just said it during an argument


brother called me gay and i said u cant judge me for being gay thats like amking fun of some one for there race and just like that it happend


ull come out one day when ur mind thinks ur ready
The courage will come when you are ready. The best way is to confront each parent individually first and explain to them you are still the son they have always known and no matter their reaction you will love them.
When i came out, i did it by letter. It's easier than confronting them because you'll be able to take it easier if the outcome is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment