Thursday, July 29, 2010

Would you give me advice on personal emails with a family member?

I moved to a new address, last fall, and a Christmas card arrived by snail mail for me from a first cousin of mine who is a successful business lady working overseas. I have not seen her face-to-face in well over ten years. The second week of January I responded with an email to thank her. Within two weeks she responded with an email acknowledging my thank you and giving me an update on what was new with her. In turn I waited two weeks and responded. Three days later she responded with a brief note about the weather. That was three days ago and when I responded today with a similar note, she got back to me in about three minutes! All she added was a smiley face. So I believe I am on the right track. But now what? What kind of response would be appropriate? And when?Would you give me advice on personal emails with a family member?
You don't have to respond. If you keep it going, it will just be each one of you getting the last word in. I would, however, keep the e-mail address in a safe spot in case you want to share something interesting that is going on in your life, or just to check in.Would you give me advice on personal emails with a family member?
You really don't need to reply to something like that. You also don't need to wait 2 weeks or even 3 days after reading an e-mail to reply to it. I make it a habit to reply to an e-mail as soon as I read it unless I know it's going to take me a while to write the reply and I really don't have time to do it right then.
Don't email her again until you received another one with more meaningful content.
Sounds like she is running out of things to say. I would wait to write again until there is a holiday or you have some news about yourself or other family member.
do you want to lose contact with her go ahead ignore it or go on saying hi bye tell her how everything is going where you are ask her when she is coming for a visit tell you would like to go see her


and why did you not send her a Christmas card
you have a lot of fin gs to talk abut yet i fink she is flirting a bit with you let her do the chasing for now

No comments:

Post a Comment