Thursday, July 29, 2010

What to do with the family pet? Parents/ adults advice?

We have this cute little bunny who is getting elderly. We have 3 small children who don't pay a lot of attention to her (she was ours since before we had kids), but they love her and I'm not sure how to preceed. Is it perhaps time to try to find a ';bunny retirement home'; for her so she doesn't die here in front of our kids (much less suffer)? Or should we ride it out and learn the tough lessons? The other issue is to decide where to take her and if she would be well taken care of there. We owe it to our little friend to do right by her, but want to avoid the tragedy if possible. Adult answers only, pref from parents!!What to do with the family pet? Parents/ adults advice?
Having a loving pet in the home is so very rich for your children. Unfortunately, pets, like people, will eventually leave this earth. Though it would be a sad time, I believe it's most important that your children are around when the time comes. As they watch her, they can see how old she is getting, tired and may need their love and comfort even more. Children really respond to the 'sick and aged' - whether pets or people. It might be a lesson that you can teach your children with this pet that no other conversation would help. And yes, it would be sad, but they will learn to understand death and appreciate life and how important it is to always love. Keep the rabbit. Your children deserve to see how you will react and how you will treat her. My mom allowed us to bury our pet in the backyard. We had a service for her, sang and put flowers on her grave. Though I was young, I remember how loving and tender my mom was. She hugged us and let us cry. That was the best time I ever remember with my mom. My daughter has not had the experience of a pet dying, but we did have to give our dog away when I moved. She is much older and was not home when one of my students came for the dog. It was a sad day for me, but I was happy because I knew that ';Buttercup'; would have children to play with, a big back yard and another small dog her own size who could be her companion. You're doing right by your rabbit and children. God bless you for being so thoughtful.What to do with the family pet? Parents/ adults advice?
I think it would be better to keep her till she passes on. Just so the kids know that nothing lasts forever. I think if they didn't get to see death, they wouldn't know how to handle it when they are older.


Tough decision, though. I wish you the best!!








Much Love!!
It is a hard decision to make. I know that you feel that it would be less cruel if your kids did not have to deal with the demise of Bunnikins, but I don't think that they will feel any less distress if Bunnikins goes to a retirement home. Death is a normal part of life and the kids will be exposed to it. You owe it to your bunny to allow her to stay in your comfortable home and die peacfully. The kids will take it all in their stride. I assure you.





I think the singer makes a good point about kids feeling that nutrturing an elderly pet will actually be a rewarding experience for them.
I think it's definintely important that your kids learn about life and death. Actually, I think that your bunny is probably the best way that they could learn! They don't spend too much time with her, so they won't notice too much of a gap in their lives, and it's better than them having to learn it through losing a relative, or someone like that. Life and death is one of the hugest lessons a child can learn, and they should learn it from their parents. Having bunny die will also put it into practice, so they'll understand it better. Try preparing your kids for it. Explain to them about death and the way it works, and that bunny will be going soon too. That way they'll be a little better prepared for it, and not confused when it happens. Good luck!
If you have kids under age5, perhaps retirement is in order. Older kids will not be too traumatized with the loss, but try not to let them see it die, especially not suffer. Take it to the vet or humane society if it seems to be suffering or if it just seems about to die.
Hi well I am a pet lover and parent here.


Well you should keep her in my opinion. I mean yes the children may be hurt when she passes, but you can tell them shes gone away to a better place, if you believe in jesus or whatever say she is with him having a great time and this happens for a reason.





if you were to try and find her a home go to a rescue they help a lot. dont advertise her in the paper, i am almost 100% positive some lady would come get it for her kid then pass it off again and again.





i would suggest keeping it until the end. pets are a lifetime commitment i know i have 10 dogs lol. HONESTLY!





i wish you the best and your kids will uinderstand and the anger/crying will only last a day!
i've always been an animal lover! i wouldn't take the bunny away until it has died. children need to understand death... in their own way. my oldest son was horrified when his guinea pig died... i don't want to make you cry with the details... but he cried for 2 days... and i cried because he cried. THEN i bought our first dog. not just any dog, a chihuahua! if i had ever known what an awesome family pet this would have been, i would have had one YEARS ago! we have 6 children at home, ages 17-16-14-14-10-7. most people say chihuahua's are one person dogs, BUT i think because the dog never had exposure to just ONE person, he's REALLY attached to everyone. there is just no better pet than this dog... AND when we went to get one we let my son pick it out and he picked the one that was colored like his guinea pig :) he's black %26amp; white. chihuahua's are SO many different colors...





BEST OF LUCK with the bunny, and your future decisions!
I don't think that the answer the singer..'s gave you could be more on the button. She is so right in everything!! Read it again and be lucky to get such good advise.
I'm not a parent but have worked in the vet world for quite a while and have run into this issue a lot. It's so unfortunate because bunny has been in your life for so long. This is what I suggest and it has worked for several families that have done this. First, keep ';bunny'; because the most likely thing that will happen to an elderly pet put up for adoption is that it will be put to sleep. This is for your piece of mind. Also, get a vet check to see where ';bunny'; is at health-wise because they can't tell us if they are suffering or sick. Also, don't let 'bunny'; just die at home because finding a dead animal is traumatic. I know, this happened to me almost 15 years ago when I was 9 and I still get teary-eyed. Plan a time when you can have a talk with the children about death and whatever your beliefs about the after-life (a union of human and animal heaven I have noticed seems to put kids at the most ease) and have bunny euthanized and either creamated or put in a ';casket';. This will prevent the kids from seeing the dead body. I have to stress how traumatic this can be for kids. It will be easier for them to not see the actual body. Also, PLEASE euthanize rather than letting bunny go naturally. It will be better for everyone, especially bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment