Thursday, July 29, 2010

I am rescuing an American Bulldog from a family that can't keep him. Need a little advice please?

Max is 10 months old, male, neutered, and current on all shots. I have met him and he seems to have a good temperment with my wife and I. Apparently he snapped at one of my friends children during feeding and his wife says it's goodbye time for him. I currently own a 9 yr old spayed lab and a 5 month old mini schnauzer due to get neutered. After all of the reading I have done I suppose my main question would be, is he too old to adapt to a new family with pets and children, my wife is a Vet tech and is comfortable with him, I am just concerned about dominance issues because he is a little intimidating and already about 85 pounds. I definitely wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley. Any tips or tricks to help with initiating him into my family's pack order would be helpful. ThanksI am rescuing an American Bulldog from a family that can't keep him. Need a little advice please?
Great that you are going to rescue! It is not too late to bring him into your family. he will be thrilled to be part of a pack and not ignored. You need to put him lowest on the totem pole for awhile. Look into NILIF (nothiing in life is free) training. It worked wonders with my girl. I also recommend feeding him by hand for the first month or so. It tells him that he has to come to you for food, you control the his essentials.


Has he been socialized? Has he met other dogs? Do your introduction slowly, one dog at a time. he is 10mths, that is a great time for him to really bond with your dogs.


ABs REALLY want to please their owners. They are so loyal %26amp; protective. You will have the best companion. Follow the NILIF and you won't have dominance issues.


I have a 3yr female AB and 1yr daughter. I couldn't ask more from a dog. She has been amazing with our daughter. A good AB will be the best family dog.


I hope this helps.


Come check out an AB group. Great advice.


http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ameri鈥?/a>


Hope to see you there!


Thank you for rescuing this boy! He will repay you with a lifetime of loyalty :)


WendyI am rescuing an American Bulldog from a family that can't keep him. Need a little advice please?
bless your hearts, just found this website that might be helpful to you..good luck..


http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/





find out about his backround, as far as how he was raised. how old are your children? a child approaching a dog while feeding, especially a dog strange to the child is a very if-fy situation. as your wife is a vet tech, i am sure she would be the expert here, although there is always room to learn. i would also caution you regarding your little mini schnauzer, in as much as this 85 lb pup is very much stronger, then the little one, and way more rambunctious than your lab. would not leave them alone together, just be careful, he may be a lovely addition, but keep all eyes open..


good luck
No he is not to old for adoption. As far as the introduction keep all of them on a leash until you see how he is going to respond, and let them check each other out. Most likely he will be over joyed to have new friends to play with once he gets used to his surroundings. I would also suggest keeping them separate for awhile if you have to leave them alone.





If your wife is comfortable and has experience with animals especially of the bulldog family, I would say she will be able to handle the situation.





I'm PROUD of you both for taking him in and there needs to be MORE people of your nature! Good luck with adoption!

No comments:

Post a Comment