Thursday, August 19, 2010

Family advice please?

So...I'm going to vent a little and need some advice. My dad and I have always been very close...more so because I was very athletic in highschool and we had that in common. I went to college and injury after injury I pretty much never amounted to anything...(no pity wanted, I'm over it).I did end up meeting my husband though who ran track with me as well...he is amazing and still is. The thing is, my dad is like his best friend now and really wants nothing to do with me...he use to call to talk to me...now he'll call my cell phone for my husband. He usually will call my husband now. If we do have a conversation, it's about what my husband is doing for training or racing or if I've heard from him while overseas (he races a lot overseas). I want them to be close, it's just I'm getting to the point where I'm like , oh, it's my dad calling and it's for you...or I just stopped answering. I don't want to be that whiny wife or daughter that looks jealous...I'm not..I'm more annoyed. I then don't want to bring it up that it annoys me so my dad and husband feel like they can't have that great relationship that they have. I think I'll just leave it alone...what do you think?Family advice please?
1.) You certainly started to go in the right direction when you stopped answering his calls. You should definitely continue doing it until he gets the message or until he realizes that the relationship between a father and daughter is no longer there.





2.) Why is your dad calling on your cellphone to speak to your husband? Doesn't your husband have a cellphone of his own? If so, shouldn't he be calling on his? If your dad wants to talk to your husband, it should be on your husband's phone and not yours! If not, then your husband should invest in one.





3.) If you should decide to pick up the phone to talk to your father and he wants to talk to your husband again, you should tell your father to call him on your husband's cellphone and not to call you to just to speak to your husband. It's rude.





4.) You need to set boundaries with your father if he should call you on your cellphone again. If he is calling you to speak to you, it should be about your well being and not about your husband. It's okay if your father asks how he is doing but if he keeps asking about your husband, again, refer back to #3!





5.) I'm definitely not saying that they should not have a great relationship. If they want to talk to one another, it should between the two of them without you sandwiched in between.Family advice please?
Vent away!!!! It's good for the soul! Are you the only child in the family? If so, it makes sense especially if your dad's into many sports. Your dad loves his daughter and he loves sports too, if he had to choose, it would be you most definitely BUT...Your dad can have a lengthy guy chat with your husband because that's what guys do, it's a man thing, bet he's so proud that his daughter married an athlete. LOL Imagine if you married a pianist, you'd get half the phone calls.
I am sorry and I would just bet your dad does not realize that he is acting this way, which sounds dumb, but maybe in a way, he feels like your husband would be upset if he talked to you much...just tell your dad that you miss talking to him and having him to lean on. I am sure he will be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment