Monday, August 23, 2010

Pregnant at 18. How to tell Parents? Family? :] ADVICE?

I'm 18. I am currently in college in my first semester. I have been with my now fiance for over 4 years and we're still going strong. He's 20. He is in his junior year of college and applying to Law School next year. I am pregnant and I obviously have to tell my family. I would be 19 by the time I had my little guy/girl. I am a little worried about telling my mom and dad. I know they won't be ecstatic, but I don't think they'll be super pissed either. If you are around my age (preferably 17,18, or 19) how did your parents react when you told them you were pregnant? How did your family react? How should I bring up the situation?


THANKS :]





Ps.


--Please don't sit here and lecture me about being young, I know I am. But at least I'm not 14.


--Also, if you are going to tell me he's going to leave me, hold your tongue, he's not, this isn't Jerry Springer.


--I am asking for advice on how to tell the parents/family, I don't need to hear how you think I ';screwed up'; ... because I didn't.








We are very excited! And I know he is going to be a great Daddy :]Pregnant at 18. How to tell Parents? Family? :] ADVICE?
I also wasn't pregnant, but right after I turned 19 I *really, really, really* thought that I was. I missed my period and had a lot of pregnancy symptoms. I just called my mom and I told her what was going on, and she just comforted me and told me that if I was everything would work out, but that she didn't think I was. Turns out the phone was on speaker phone so my dad heard too. Both of my parents were really, very considerate and helpful. They weren't pissed because I've had the same boyfriend for 2+ years (who was also very helpful and willing to stay with me through thick and thin) and they tried to do anything they could. And the next day, my period came. Hah. I think it just depends on the relationship with your parents- mine are generally really loving and open to just about anything. You will know how they will react better than any of us ;) Good luck %26amp;%26amp; congrats!!!Pregnant at 18. How to tell Parents? Family? :] ADVICE?
well i got pregnant at 17 in 2007 but had the baby when i was 18..but i just walked into the kitchen where my mom was and told her i took a pregnancy test that was positive and she didnt really say much about it..she made me a dr appt and sure enough i was pregnant..i was crying and she was smiling lol she was the one telling me it would be okay =] best of luck
I wasn't pregnant, but I thought I was at 17 and told my mom. I just had her come into my room and closed my eyes, while crying, and told her I thought I was pregnant. She took it really good and said getting mad wasn't going to change the situation. Good luck :) I am happy for you!
I'm 19, I'll be 20 when I have the baby. My mom just took a deep breath and said, ';Well, good luck.';





:))





My mom doesn't talk much. But her prerogative is that as long as we're able to take care of the baby, age doesn't really matter.
First off, I think that you are right, at least your not 14,15,16 years of age. and congrats. I am 21 and pregnant. Im not in college but I am independent as soundsyourself. If you think that they might be pissed , then they will more than likely get over it. Im sure they will be proud to have a grandbaby after the smoke clears. I suggest that you sit them down at a nice dinner, with your fiance, and both of you just say,'; we have something to tell you, and we want nothing more than support and love in this situation from you. I found out that I am pregnant, and I know what this can do to my future,which makes me only want to strive more for the sake of my unborn baby. But it wouldn't be the same if I didnt have you there for and with me. ';so what do you think mom and dad......


try it out. It might work, and good luck with your pregnancy and family
FIRST of all.. congrats!


Secondly, If your parents arent going to be going balistic on you then I wouldnt worry about it too much. I have had 4 friends that have been in very similar situations and have helped them out. Luckily only 1 of them had grouchy parents and they just said that they werent thrilled and then said ';so what are we going to do now?'; So I'm sure you will be fine. Just be up front and honest. :D Good luck hun!
I fell pregnant at 19, and my parents were great about it, my partners however were less than tasteful about it.





Honestly, I did feel a lot of embarrassment. My parents felt very sorry for me, as our combined incomes were less than impressive, but we still managed to pay off all our stuff (Lay-by was a GODSEND!)





My mother didn't even find out I was pregnant through me, I still to this day have no idea how she found out, and thats what hurt her the most was finding out through a rumour.


My mum was constanstly sending down stuff for the bub, and helping where she could, and dad was just as awesome.





My partners family went off their heads at us, swearing, calling us disgraces , so to this day I still don't fully feel comfortable being there.





There really is no beating around the bush, to be honest if you've put on a little bit of weight or if the boobs have grown a bit, they have probably started suspecting it already.
first of all i think its pretty rude to say that at least your not 14, cuz there teen moms out there that can take care of a child better then 20-30 year women. I was pregnant at 16 and like every other teenager i freaked about how i was going to tell my parents, but at the time my bf left me and i was doing bad at skool. And pretty much she found out on her own because, a mother of 5 she new right of the base i was i was going to keep it away till i showed but she said i made it obvious lol i dnt knoe how but she just new, she started crying but they she just faced the fact that her first grandchild was coming so she got over it. And by wat you say i dnt think your mom would be mad she might cry but not mad because you seem like you knoe wat your going to do and your still wit your fiance and you guys seem very happy, so everything should go good! GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS ON THE LIL MIRACLE%26lt;3
My mom was upset/disappointed. I would say she came off as mad, but it really was more upsetting. My dad was upset obviously because I'm his youngest girl. He didn't show it though. They both just supported my decision to keep my baby. Even though it wasn't a plan for their 17 year old daughter to get pregnant while still in high school they are helping me a lot and love my baby already. A good way to tell your parents is to just sit them down and say that you need to talk to them. Tell them it wasn't planned, but you're pregnant and you want to keep it. Tell them you're going to continue your education (if you are), and do whatever you can to support your baby. The worst thing to do is to tell your parents you're pregnant and have nothing to say when they ask you how you're going to support it, or how you're going to raise it. So just be prepared.





I'm 17 and pregnant so if ya wanna message me or anything feel free =)





Good luck!
I know how you feel. I would just sit down with them and come out with it. The way I see it is you have to tell them eventually, well... either way they'll find out. So you should just come right out with it. If your boyfriend is close with your family have him sit down and do it with you. No matter what parents are obligated to love you, and once it sinks in and they accept the fact that they're going to be grandparents, they'll probably be excited too!
well this is my story. My husband (now) and I started dating when I was 16. His parents were compleatly against it since it was about to be his first yr in college and my junior yr in high school, and he was going to be 2hrs away. Regardless, of what they thought we managed to make it without any trouble at all, believe it or not. He visited me every single wk end, until my last semester senior yr when my mom would allow me to visit him as well. So I finish high school and move in with him. A yr later once we've been living together, he proposed. We got married Sept. 12 2009 and Mid October I found out I was pregnant.





so overall. we've been together for almost 4 yrs, married for 2 months, and I'm 9wks prego tomorrow.





My family was super happy for us, his not so much at first, but they've come around. We didn't know how to tell them, but we just sat them down and came out and said it. best way to do it, I think.


I just your family together and let it out. You'll be fine. We're fine.


Wish you the very very best of luck
Hey girly :) congrats on the little bundle of joy lol . well i am 18 and 27 weeks pregnant with a little girl. i told my parents on my birthday, i thought they were going to kill me if this every happened! well anyways i told my mom and she asked me questions like how far along are you( i was 3 months at this tiem) and if i have been to the doctor and ect. i texted her lol . well she needed a day to think about it and it fine now and very happy. my dad ,i had my sister tell him cause he wasn't at home at the time so she told him he called me and he was soooo happy! shocker! he jsut said things happen for a reason and dont be sorry, i told my grandparents threw email and they were just like my dad so every one is hella happy. good luck hun email me anytiem
I was 15 when I got pregnant and had my first. I was terrified to tell my mom so I wrote her a letter explaining that I was pregnant and how far along I was and that I know she would be dissapointed in me and so on...I then left the letter on her pillow before I left the house one day. This gave her time to digest what she was being told and time to think about how to react. When we saw eachother the next morning she told me that she was disapointed in me but she would be behind me 110%... which she has been. I moved out about five months after my son was born with his dad(big mistake)...and she still stood behind me. Now three and a half years later she and I are best friends I am 19 and a single mom of two...she knows I make my share of mistakes but she will always be there for me and actually she was my coach when my daughter was born four days ago.





Good luck and congrats on the baby!!!
I'm not a teen, but I thought I'd would advise you to say what I'd hope my own daughter would say.





As a parent, the straight forward approach is always best. You've been together for four years, so it's not like they're going to be totally astounded. You said he's your fiance, so you already have plans to be married.





I would hope my daughter, along with her boyfriend, would come and talk to me like two mature, young adults. Have a plan of action, as in how you all plan on taking care of the child. I would want to know if you were going to finish college, and would want to know what his family thought as well.





If you want to continue school and need their help with the baby, ask about how they could assist you in continuing your future plans in college. Find out some facts on daycare ect. I think if you go to them in a mature sensible manner, they will be more confident in your ability to confront the challenge of being a young parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment