Sunday, August 22, 2010

Some genuine family advice please?

For a while now, I have been wanting to get my eyebrow pierced, Nothing way out there, just a simple bar. But my family severely looks down upon people who do things to their bodies, this includes piercings and tattoos. My parents don't care, my dad even has 3 tattoos himself, but they don't want me to get my eyebrow pierced because they say it would really hurt our family. I am old enough that i do not need their permission or approval to do this, but at the same time I don't want to ruin my relationship with my family.


Should I give up something I really want just because my family is close-minded? Or should I give in and let things be?


I'm really torn. my dad didnt get shunned from the family for his tattoos, but dad says that its because he made the desision as an adult to do it, and its different because im 19.


Please help me decide what to do. Your advice is appreciated


and please no yelling about how horrible piercings are.Some genuine family advice please?
I say wait it out. Dont get piercings done right now. Your still kinda young, and you dont know, maybe in a year, you wont want a piercing? Good luck, hope I helped.Some genuine family advice please?
It is your body, so its your choice if you want to get a piercing or not. To be honest, I wouldn't stop doing something I wanted just because my family were close-minded. However, I would tell them first and talk to them about it. Besides at 19 years old you are an adult and able to make sensible decisions. Good luck xx
I understand that you really want this peircing but you have to appreciate your families feelings and views.


It obviously means alot to them and you need to talk to them and ask them why, and find out about their feelings etc.


But they also need to appreciate your feelings and views so tell them and try to come to a conclusion that fits all your needs.





Hope this helps


x
I suppose your old enough to decide for yourself whether you want to get it or not.


It depends what u feel is more important...the piercing or the family?


They shouldn't make you choose but that's how some families are.
Its no biggy do it even though they don't want you to. One piercing will not ruin your bond forever
You should get the piercing if you truly want it. YOU ARE AN ADULT. if you really think you will be completely shunned from your whole family then they obviously don't respect your creativity. I mean it is not like your doing something horrible. A tattoo you can't take off. But you can always take out an eyebrow piercing after a while having it in. I don't know if you live with your parents or not, but if you don't then when you guys visit you can just take it out. It shows you are respectful of your family;s concerns but you still should do what you want.
I know that family is important, but you shouldn't keep yourself from being happy. If a piercing is what you really want, then I would get it. Your family may not understand at first, but they'll come around. If they didn't shun your father for a tattoo, (and those are more permanent than piercings--) than they shouldn't shun you either. If you tried to explain to them that you are an adult even though you're only 19 - maybe they'll understand.





And anyway- the most important people that you need to worry about being disappointed in you is your Mom and Dad. Sometimes other family members just cause problems. My family on my Mom's side was once really close to me. But it all changed and now I hardly talk to any of them. I still talk to my grandparents, but I'm not super close to them anymore. Two of my Aunts passed away, Two other of my Aunts and One Uncle Moved to different states, and the other 3 (two Uncles %26amp; One Aunt) Live in Michigan but my Aunt is too stuck up to really ';come around'; so to say. The two Uncles that are here are still pretty close but they're the ';cool'; Uncles- haha. Also same with my Dad's side. I'm still close with my Grandma but I never had a Grandpa on my Dad's side. I was really close with all of my Uncles, until things changed. My Uncle Denny moved to Tennessee taking both of my cousins Kevin and Darrin.. both in which were my best friends. My Uncle Derryl passed away several years ago, he was the closest uncles of them all, and my Uncle David who used to take me on trips to other states, became an Alcoholic.





So, I say do what you really want. Because to me, my parents are the two that I don't want to disappoint. And not only that -- but every time you see your family you could always just wear a band aid over it, haha.





But follow your heart. If you think they'll never get over it maybe it's not a good idea. But if you know that they'll come around eventually... go for it. Make yourself happy. Besides, piercing aren't that bad. Now if you were going to get in-between your nose pierced.. I'd say hell no, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment