Monday, August 23, 2010

Caught between two halves of my family, advice?

My parents divorced when I was young and it wasn't until about 3 years ago that I was able to interact semi-normally with my father. Since then, I've discovered he and I have a lot in common and have come to something of an uneasy peace. He has been good enough to pay child support this whole time, and even when his salary increased dramatically, my mother never took him back to court to get her child support raised. This is despite the fact that she was supporting three kids and in a bankruptcy. Recently my youngest sibling turned 18 and, even though my dad agreed to pay child support for three more years (in writing), he is refusing to pay and is taking my mother to court. He doesn't have a leg to stand on legally, so why is he doing this? Hasn't he hurt us enough?





This is upsetting me so much that I almost got into an accident yesterday. I no longer live with my mother, but I am still caught between them. I feel awful that my other siblings will have to be there to see this ugliness happen. Has anyone else been through a similar situation that has some advice besides ';Don't get involved?';Caught between two halves of my family, advice?
Is your sibling going to go to college? If they are then he does have to pay and taking your mom will only make him look like a lousy father. I know you don't want to hear this, but other than maybe telling your father how you feel, you should stay out of it.Caught between two halves of my family, advice?
I am lost why would any of you expect your dad to keep paying after the kid is grown why doesn't the 18 year old get a job. The cost of living is rising and even thou your dad may have wanted to pay extra to help your mom out there was no way he would know how things would be currently. Maybe he can't afford it now with gas and everything else being so high. Have you considered that.
One of the many sad things about divorce is that the waters get muddy and its hard to see clearly, Your parents made the decision to divorce, and are forced to live with the results, You on the other hand get to share in the misery, I am sorry for your grief, but that's the way it goes
I don't know why he has to pay child support if the child is actually an adult. But if he decided to take your mom to court, maybe financially he just can't afford it. I mean c'mon she is 18, she's not a kid, tell her to get a job.
Well he has a leg to stand on once a child turns 18 he is no longer


required to pay child support them are the laws. She may have something in writing but he has the law in his court.
It's hard not to be involved when you see the pain this has caused the family, can he take your mom to court, yes,.. if it's in writing, the judge might make him pay., might....
Why don't you give your father the respect of a phone call. Maybe he has a good reason.
WELL I DONT THINK THAT ITS SOMETHING WRONG WITH HIM TRYING TO TAKE HER TO COURT ABOUT THIS BECAUSE YOUR SISTER IS 18 HOWEVER A WRITTEN AGREEMENT IS TAKEN IN CONSIDERATION BY A JUDGE AND YOUR MOM MAY WIN ESPECIALLY IF HE AGREED AND HIS HANDWRITING IS ON THE PAPER....HOWEVER OTHER THAN THE NOTE HE SIGNED HE REALLY DOESNT HAVE TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT ANYMORE BECAUSE SHE IS 18 AND THAT IS THE LEGAL AGE FOR CHILD SUPPORT TO STOP AS WELL AS ADULT/HOOD





PS I HOPE ALL WORKS OUT IN YOUR MOMS DEFENSE BECAUSE YOUR DAD DID SIGN AND AGREEMENT SAYING HE WOULD PAY CHILD SUPPORT FOR 3 YEARS BUT TO BE REALLY HONEST I THINK THE COURT IS GOING TO DENY YOUR MOM BECAUSE OF THE LAW.
As much as you don't want to hear it just don't get involved. I know this is tough to do, but your parents have to do this on their own. Try to see where both of them are coming from. Your mom needs the money to support your sibling, but what is the reason that your dad is not willing to pay now. At 18, unless they are attending school, a person could easily find work and partially support themselves with the help of a roof over their head. This may be your dad's way of saying ';Child go and get a job';.

No comments:

Post a Comment