Monday, August 23, 2010

I'm 17. I Need some family advice. Help please?

I'm 17 and my parents are divorced. I will be a senior this coming school year and planned on graduating in half a year. I also have played football all through high school, but I decided that I did not want to play my senior year because I do not really enjoy it like I used to. I told this to my mom and she said that I do not know what I am talking about and she said that she would not let me graduate early if I did not play. I feel that I should be able to make my own decisions. I need some adult advice please.I'm 17. I Need some family advice. Help please?
Call her bluff, if you are willing to own your decision and all possible results. You should be able to make your own decisions, and she cannot force you to play. In the meantime, you should be speaking with your school counselor in the fall about your academic schedule and your post-graduation plans. She may change her mind if she sees that she cannot control you, but if she doesn't change her mind, then stick to your plan anyway. Maybe you can take some Advanced Placement classes and earn college credit, if you need to stay in school.I'm 17. I Need some family advice. Help please?
ask her *why* she wants you to play; she obviously has a reason. it could be that she's just worried that you want to stop because you're depressed (or something like that) and she's pushing you to play because she thinks that will help you feel better. at any rate, if you find out why she's pushing this point, at least you have something that you can discuss.
do what you want, she can not make you graduate at the time of her choosing. its all on your shoulders buddy. if you don't want to play she cant force you too. or just tell her i shall not allow you to come to your graduation she if makes you. just flip the tables on her
Is your mother generally a good parent?because I would think that she would like the idea of you wanting to graduate early,is your father not involved in your life?ask him for his permission if he is involved in your life...
Talk to your counselor at school about your dilemma. Maybe they can help with your mom.
thats so stupid. you should be able to decide what sports you want to play. tell your mom that youwill play another sport if you can graduate early
You should just play... you caould get a really great scholarship for college. It would be worth the free education.
Hey. I guess you could consider me an ';adult'; because i'm not a teenager anymore. But look, your mom wants what's best for you, and that seems clear to me. It might seem irrational to you (after all, you don't enjoy football, so why play it?'; But I said the same exact thing about playing the piano when I was younger. Now that I'm older, I see so many people who can make beautiful music and express themselves in such a unique way, and I can't because I ';got sick of it'; in elementary school even though my mom told me to stick it out.


Now, the things that I DID follow thru on (softball and tennis) to senior year, are things that I value so much because they taught me discipline and team work. I hate to break it to you, but there is something fundamentally wrong with American youths these days: a lack of discipline. I've met kids from Asia and Africa who are just appalled that Americans give up so easily, that they quit, or get divorced, or move or change their habits. It's those who are disciplined and stick things out even when we don't ';enjoy'; them that really succeed in life and find out what true, hard-earned happiness means.


You could really get something rewarding out of football this year, even if it's just a proud look from your mom for obeying her. In my experience, it's always better to go with the wisdom of your parents, particularly when you think they're full of ****.


Just my thoughts.
Wow this is a tough one. I am a mom and my son just graduated high school a year ago. He also played football through high school, but he enjoyed it. He did not graduate early, because he wanted to spend the rest of his time at school with his friends. I believe that maybe you should talk to your mom. Maybe it is an organized activity that she is more interested maybe to keep you active and focused. I always believed that a busy kid is bound to find something else to do than to get into trouble. I am not saying that you are not a good kid, sounds good to me that you are asking for advice on a serious matter. I personally think that I could not force my teen to do anything they didn't honestly want to do, but I would surely stress that they do something organized. Good luck with your mom. I am sure she means well. It is not easy being a single mother. Enjoy your senior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment